FREE counter and Web statistics from
We Will Not Forget
The greatest tribute we can raise to honor those lost, is their children.9-11 Fundraising EffortsTTOF NewsDonate NowContact UsShopSite Map
Victim ResourcesTTOF Child RegistryDonate NowAbout the FundTTOF MissionTTOF BeneficiariesTTOF Values / Guiding PrincipalsTTOF FoundersTTOF Board of DirectorsTTOF FinancialsTTOF ContributorsContact UsHome

Twin Towers Orphan Fund, founded on Sept. 12, 2001, is a program of the Children's Fund of America a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, public benefit organization, Fed. Tax ID# 57-1197371.

All donations are fully
Rebuilding futures, one child at a time.
Support Resources ~ Higher Educational Assistance
The Twin Towers Orphan Fund was founded on September 12, 2001 to assist the children who were orphaned (who lost one or both parents) by the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.  TTOF is not a disaster relief fund, but instead is a long-term higher educational and health care support trust fund with a current life span of some 25 years.

Via individual Sec. 529 Education Saving Accounts funded in the names of the child beneficiaries, TTOF helps provide tuition assistance, room and board support, books and supplies to enrolled students at accredited two- and four-year colleges and universities and recognized trade schools.

Who is eligible?
Eligible participants are natural born and legally adopted children of US citizens who are financially needy children under the age of 18 on September 11, 2001 or age 22 if enrolled in accredited institutions of higher learning on September 11, 2001, who lost one or both parents in the terrorist-caused disasters of September 11, 2001.

How is "needy" defined?
In general terms, financial need is based on an individual's ability to pay compared to the cost of the accredited institution. The amount of money available to any child for educational assistance will depend on the size of the Fund, the number of eligible participants, and the financial need of applicants.

What is the application process?
  1. Register the child with TTOF by completing the online Child Registry at, or telephone us at (661) 633-9076.
  2. Provide TTOF with the following verification documents:
    • The child's Social Security Number
    • A copy of the child's birth certificate
    • A copy of the parent's death certificate
    • A marriage license. If not available, please provide a notarized letter of reference from a disinterested party (clergy, school principal, social worker, employer, etc) that proves you are the guardian of the child.
    • A good-faith statement of need.
How will the Educational Assistance be received?
Registered and verified children are named beneficiaries of individual Section 529 tax-deferred higher educational savings accounts, with TTOF as the trustee. When the child begins attending college, they will need to verify "need" by completing a form provided by TTOF, with documentation that may include tax returns and statements of net worth. Funds will be released to the institution of higher education eligible under the Section 529 account rules. These funds may be used for those college expenses allowed by the Section 529 account rules (tuition, books, supplies, lab-fees, and other legitimate higher educational expenses). When the funds have been exhausted, TTOF may choose to add additional funds based upon their availability or terminate educational benefits. Funds not expended will be returned to TTOF to be redistributed among the remaining children. In the event that a child does not satisfy the qualification of need, or does not request funds by age 21, the funds will revert back to TTOF to be redistributed into other educational accounts or medical or mental healthcare benefits.

What if I have questions?
Please telephone (661) 633-9076 or email


Section 529 Plans -- What are they and how do they work?

Where will the 529 college funds be located?

College Costs Calculator

If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader (required to read PDF files), please click the ACROBAT READER button on the left to download it.

TTOF Educational Assistance Guidelines (PDF)

TTOF Student Application (PDF)

TTOF Student Application Instructions (PDF)
If you know of a child who lost a parent on September 11, 2001, please register with Twin Towers Orphan Fund. This will help TTOF identify and qualify those children who are in most need of our help -- now and in the future.

TTOF provides higher educational assistance, as well as physical and mental health care assistance to the children who lost parents on September 11, 2001.